Examinations of SNA and learning are emerging around the developing area called ''learning analytics". There have been 2 conferences so far (Learning Analytics and Knowledge), with the next in Belgium in April 2013. Papers from the first two conferences are available in the ACM Digital Library.

LAK11: https://tekri.athabascau.ca/analytics/
LAK12: http://lak12.sites.olt.ubc.ca/
LAK13: http://lakconference2013.wordpress.com/

A related conferences in the Networked Learning conference, held every 2 years: http://www.networkedlearningconference.org.uk/.

See also the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR): http://www.solaresearch.org/.

We are also have a minitrack at HICSS "Learning Analytics and Networked Learning" and are currently editing a special issue of the American Behavioral Scientist on learning analytics.

Papers by Maarten de Laat, Shane Dawson, Anatoliy Gruzd, and by myself address SNA and interaction in learning spaces. (I can point you to specific papers if you like).

/Caroline

Caroline Haythornthwaite
Director and Professor
SLAIS, The iSchool at UBC