Juan,
You should check Zacarias Moutoukias' work on Latin American transatlantic networks.
We have currently a project on the evolution of networks in Buenos Aires from its foundation until after 1810 and the relationships with Spain.

Hope to get in touch,
_
  Christophe Prieur,                                               [log in to unmask]
  Liafa, Université Paris-Diderot                           http://liafa.fr/~prieur/
  [user experience research, social networks, (large) graph algorithms]