We're really looking forward to feedback and engagement for this event. I'm not sure there will be any surprises, but given the massive push towards studies of influence through social networks, especially online, I think the time is right to start connecting the academic and public conversations.

Any questions besides the info below, feel free to email me.

Also, if you have any knock-out studies on health outcomes through online networks, by all means forward my way or post them here.

Take care,
BERNiE

Dr Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford

On 2012-10-12, at 7:00 PM, Tom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

All:

Of potential interest to many of you, Nathan Cobb (Legacy Institute), Bernie Hogan (Oxford Internet Institute), and Tom Valente (University of Southern California) will

take part in a GE Healthcare Virtual Roundtable on October 18th, between 16:00-16:45 BST,  asking; “Can online social networks help you get healthier?”, exploring the possible role of social networking in improving health behaviour.

We will discuss issues relating to the possible effect and evaluation of online social media health campaigns. The roundtable will be recorded on an open conference call, with participation available to all.

The Twitter hashtag for questions, comments and views before, during and after this event is #socialhealth

For more information please visit: http://bit.ly/OXMdI6

Or register directly here: http://bit.ly/socialhealthroundtable

I hope that you can join us on October 18th.

-Tom (Nate & Bernie)

Thomas W. Valente, PhD

Professor, Department of  Preventive Medicine

Keck School of Medicine

University of Southern California

2001 N. Soto St., Room 302w

Los Angeles, CA 90034-9045

phone: (323) 442-8238

cell: (310) 977-4123

email: [log in to unmask]

Social Networks and Health: Models, Methods & Applications (2010 Oxford University Press):

Evaluating Health Promotion Programs (2002 Oxford University Press)

Network Models of the Diffusion of Innovations (1995 Hampton Press)

My personal webpage: http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/