***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hey all,

A friend recently brought up an interesting question - there's a user in their local interest "community" on Twitter that's being particularly disruptive - was there any way that I could possibly figure out the identity of the person? Obviously, it's a much more complex question than just ferreting it out, and I don't know if it's even ethical to ferret out the pseudonymous account's owner, but it is an interesting question that I would love to hear methodology on. Basically, the situation is as such: given a pseudonymous account (operated by a person who is likely a member of the community, and likely has their own account within that community), is there any way to use a network approach to yield likely candidate "real" accounts that may also be operated by that person? Implications are pretty clear here for use in disambiguating dissidents and such, so it's likely not a totally safe road to travel down too far, but it is an interesting question that I would love to hear thoughts on. My gut was saying that there could be some way to measure observed/expected triads for the user and its ties going outward maybe 2 degrees - if you could establish a short list of people that they were likely to be friends with, but for some reason are not, this could be possibly useful.

Anyways, any thoughts on how to approach that question would be useful, from what sort of theoretical assumptions could/should be made, ethical issues, to possible methodologies.

Devin