Someone told me about some Black-bellied Whistling-Duck chicks in Hernando
County, so Al and I went to see them today. We found a parent with 3 very
downy chicks. On each of two other nearby lakes, we found a pair with more
chicks. One set of chicks was still somewhat downy, though they looked
somewhat bigger than the first set of chicks. The third had already
developed their feathers.

We knew that Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks were late nesters, since we have
found families in mid-July and August, but we never realized how late they
will nest. I will be reporting these families on the Breeding Bird Atlas.

If other birders have found this species this summer, it might be worthwhile
to take another look at these areas now to see if any more late nesters can
be found for the BBA.

Bev Hansen

Spring Hill, FL