Hey everyone,

I had a little time to stop at Mead Garden this morning.  I arrived at 9 AM and left just before 11.  I was hoping for the Clay-Colored Sparrow which would have been a state bird.  No luck on that one for me, but perhaps others have seen it by now?  Please chime in if you did!  I did happen to find Marcus Sharpe who was looking at a Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird that Paul Hueber had found yesterday.  I spent a long time looking at that bird, and consequently I didn't get much farther south than the Garden Club building.  Here's what I managed to find in the limited area:

Cooper's Hawk
Mourning Dove
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (at least 1, probably more)
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird (but I guess more likely to be a Rufous, right?  1 female or young male, butterfly garden area)
Belted Kingfisher
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
White-Eyed Vireo (1)
Red-Eyed Vireo (3)
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Carolina Wren
House Wren (1)
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
American Redstart (3)
Northern Parula (2)
Black-Throated Blue Warbler (4)
Palm Warbler (7, many more seen by other birders elsewhere in the Garden)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (1)
Prairie Warbler (1)
Scarlet Tanager (2)
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting (4)
Painted Bunting (1 female)
Common Grackle
House Finch

Another birder (Jeff, sorry I don't know your last name!) found a Nashville Warbler in the brush in front of the amphitheater, just north of the parking lot.  I was unable to relocate it.

Mead Garden is located near the intersection of US-17/92 (Orlando Ave.) and Orange Ave. in Winter Park, north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.