Not sure which part of the story I find more entertaining the fact that Rafael Galvez located a Bullock's Oriole at Long Key State Park yesterday or that he documented the bird with a field sketch done with eye-liner!!!!

"Unfortunately, my watercolors were 2 hours away in Homestead, so I opted for stopping at the “Qwik Stop” convenience shop in the town of Layton, hoping they might have color pencils or markers for sale. Interestingly, they only had a full line of L.A. Girl eye liner in an assortment of yellows and browns. Below (right) is the first illustration I have ever done using eyeliner as my medium."

See the sketch / paintings, and read the whole story at the FKH blog here:

http://floridakeyshawkwatch.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/a-bullocks-oriole-and-other-migrants-at-long-key/

This is certainly the first eye-liner sketch / painting (not sure what you'd call it) I've ever seen. Rafael at least CLAIMS he stopped at the store to pick these up… ;p

Great story all the same!

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL