Hello BEST-ers,

Today I was reading an article about the place of technology within the future of agriculture. To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Indiana-based Conservation Technology Information Center, leaders within agriculture gathered at the St. Louis headquarters of Monsanto to discuss new ways of applying technology to farming. Jerry Hatfield, director of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Laboratory for Agriculture, says we have all the information and data from GPS, but that this data needs to be turned into information useful for farmers. Advances in machinery and sensors will also be crucial. These leaders think advances in technology will lead to sustainable intensification in farming more sustainable practices.

Do you agree? Can technology advance along with sustainability without one of them overpowering the other? Or do you advocate returning to the basics of farming and organic agriculture?

Happy Monday!
Jacquelyn

Technology is key for conservation efforts, panel says
November 5, 2012
Nat Williams
http://www.agrinews-pubs.com/articles/news/latest-news/default.asp?article=85AF789316FF5A4DDC11C21106276CF36692EFB8E946BE1F