I've tried to connect people listed for certain topics such as "musician"
or "snowboard" into a twitter ontology of interests here:

http://twitterresearcher.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/a-net-of-words-a-high-level-ontology-for-twitter-tags/
http://twitterresearcher.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/how-to-generate-interest-based-communities-part-1/
http://twitterresearcher.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/how-to-generate-interest-based-communities-part-2/

and thought that it might have a  nice application for marketing when a
company wants to know what their followers are itnerested in, without
actually using some sort of text analysis on their tweets, but instead
using their follower ties in this ontology.

http://twitterresearcher.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/finding-out-what-people-are-interested-in-by-using-only-structural-information/

Cheers
Thomas Plotkowiak
Researcher at the MCM Institute St. Gallen