***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Going through my email archives, a question like this seems to be asked every few months or so. Not to fork the thread, but is there any chance that INSNA could set up a wiki so that people could post links to these oft-requested resources?

Data on dark networks:
Valdis Kreb's 9/11 network is a classic. http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/computational_tools/datasets/sets/krebs_interaction/index.html

Carlo Morselli's book and work is an excellent theoretical and methodological review and includes drug trafficking data from a Canadian operation: http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Criminal-Networks-Studies-Organized/dp/038709525X

Hsinchun Chen is also at U of A and operates the Dark Web portal on jihadi message boards: http://ai.arizona.edu/research/terror/

The LINQS group at University of Maryland led by Lise Getoor has two datasets of terrorists networks on this page: http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/linqs/projects/lbc/index.html

At SUNY Albany there is the Project on Violent Conflict, http://www.albany.edu/pvc/ that is developing some promising data on terrorist networks

Kathleen Carley's CASOS group has a number of other terrorism-related datasets. http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/computational_tools/datasets/index.html

Favorite papers of mine:

Wayne E. Baker and Robert R. Faulkner. 1993. "The Social Organization of Conspiracy: Illegal Networks in the Heavy Electrical Equipment Industry."  American Sociological Review, 58:837-860.

Cynthia and Michael Stohl also had an excellent 2007 Communication Theory article on terror networks which can likewise inform more literate thinking about SNA theory and methods in other clandestine contexts: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2885.2007.00289.x/full

Robins, G. (2009). Understanding individual behaviors within covert networks: The interplay of
individual qualities, psychological predispositions, and network effects. Trends in
organized crime, 12, 166 – 187.

Jörg Raab and H. Brinton Milward. 2003 "Dark Networks as Problems." Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, Vol. 13, no.4, pp. 413–439

Shameless self-promotion:

Our research team has examined the similarities between the structures and behavioral patterns of cheaters in online games and at least one case of the structure of drug trafficking organizations. Papers can be found on my website: http://www.brianckeegan.com/research/ Unfortunately we under a NDA for the game data we used and cannot share it.

Ahmad, M.A., Keegan, B., Sullivan, S., Williams, D., Srivastava, J., Contractor, N. (2011) “Illicit Bits: Detecting and Analyzing Contraband Networks in Massively Multiplayer Online Games.” Third IEEE Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom), Boston, MA.

Keegan, B., Ahmad, M., Williams, D., Srivastava, J., Contractor, N. (2011) “Sic Transit Gloria Mundi Virtuali? Promise and Peril at the Intersection of Computational Social Science and Online Clandestine Organizations.” Third International ACM Conference on Web Science (WebSci), Koblenz, Germany.

Ahmad, M., Keegan, B., Srivastava, J., Williams, D., Contractor, N. (2011) “Trust Amongst Rogues? A Hypergraph Approach for Comparing Clandestine Trust Networks in MMOGs.” Fifth International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM), Barcelona, Spain.

Keegan, B., Ahmad, M., Williams, D., Srivastava, J., Contractor, N. (2010) “Dark Gold: Statistical Properties of Clandestine Networks in Massively Multiplayer Online Games.” Second IEEE Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom), Minneapolis, MI.

Ahmad, M., Keegan, B., Srivastava, J., Williams, D., Contractor, N. (2009) “Mining for Gold Farmers: Automatic Detection of Deviant Players in MMOGs.” 2009 Symposium on Social Intelligence and Networking, First IEEE Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom), Vancouver, BC.