Hi all,

Please see the job advertisement below.

We are open to applications from all sub-disciplines of sociology, and at all levels (Assistant/Associate/Full-Professor, and both tenure and teaching track).

If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to email me, or the Dean of our School - Professor James Tang (jamestang@smu.edu.sg)

Please do pass this on to anyone who you think might be interested.

Cheers

Nick

---------------------

The School of Social Sciences (SOSS), Singapore Management University, invites applications for both tenure-track and education-track positions in Sociology at the Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor rank, to begin in July 2013.  Applicants in all areas of Sociology will be considered.

The positions require a doctorate in Sociology by the date of appointment. For the tenure-track positions, we are seeking candidates with a demonstrated record of, or high potential of, scholarly research commensurate with the rank and a strong ability or aptitude to teach undergraduate courses. For the education-track positions, which have a six-course per year teaching load, we are seeking candidates with extensive experiences in teaching a wide range of courses and a strong record of teaching effectiveness and pedagogical innovations.

The SOSS has a strong record of attracting the best students in Singapore and the region.  The ideal candidate should be comfortable working in an interdisciplinary environment with faculty members from Psychology, Political Science, Sociology, and the Humanities as immediate colleagues.  A research interest in the Asian region will be an advantage.  For the tenure-track positions, the teaching load is comparable to many research universities, and research support is excellent. Salary and benefits are highly competitive.

Full evaluation of applications will start 2nd Jan 2013 and on-campus interviews will typically be conducted in the period from January to March 2013.  However, submission of applications is open and evaluation will continue until the positions are filled.  Applicants for the tenure-track Assistant Professor rank must submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a research statement, and selected publications (at most three). Applicants should arrange for three confidential letters of recommendation to be sent directly to: The Dean’s Office, School of Social Sciences, Singapore Management University, 90 Stamford Road, Level 4, Singapore 178903. Applicants for the tenure-track positions at Associate or Full rank should submit a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae, and the contacts of three references. Applicants for the education-track positions must submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a teaching statement, evidences of teaching effectiveness, and the contacts of three references. Preferably, all submission should be in electronic form (Word or PDF file) to the following address: socialsciencescv@smu.edu.sg. For documents not available in electronic form, hard copies should be sent to the mailing address above. Information about the University and the School can be found at www.socsc.smu.edu.sg

--

"If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion."

Noam Chomsky

--

"Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.

"These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the verge of despair.  I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy - ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy.  I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness - that terrible loneliness in which one's shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss.  I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined.  This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what - at last - I have found.

"With equal passion I have sought knowledge.  I have wished to understand the hearts of men.  I have wished to know why the stars shine.  And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flux.  A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

"Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens.  But always pity brought me back to earth.  Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart.  Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be.  I long to alleviate evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer."

Bertrand Russell

--

Nicholas Harrigan
Assistant Professor of Sociology
School of Social Sciences

Singapore Management University
90 Stamford Road, Level 4
Singapore 178903

Office: +(65) 6828 0842
Mobile: +(65) 9029 9499
Fax: +(65) 6828 0423
UK: +(44) 7962 627960
www.smu.edu.sg

The information contained in this email (including all attachments) is
confidential and may also be privileged. It is intended for the use only of
the addressee(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient, kindly note
that any dissemination, distribution, publication or copying of this email
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please
accept our apologies and notify us immediately. Thereafter, kindly delete
all copies from your system. Although reasonable precautions have been taken
to ensure the integrity of this email and that it is virus free, SMU cannot
be responsible for any change made to this email or the presence of any
virus therein without its knowledge and/or consent. Unless it relates to the
official business of SMU, any opinions, views and other information
expressed in this document are those of the individual sender.