 From: David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
To: SpaceCoastAudubon Listserve <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:33 PM
Subject: [SpaceCoastAudubon] Red-breasted nuthatch searches

Hi all,

I spent Monday searching for Red-breasted nuthatches from north Brevard to south St. John's County with no success.  There may be some out there, the winds were pretty high and there is a lot of habitat out there.  My search concentrated on pine stands along the SR 3 corridor from Scrub Jay Trail up to US 1.  After that I hit Tomoka State Park in Volusia, Princess Place in Flagler, and Faver Dykes State Park in St. John's.  Lots of habitat, no nuthatches.  Then I find out that Travis and Karen McClendon have a Harris's Sparrow at their place near Blountstown, after I set up for the night in St. Augustine.  I didn't get much sleep that night, but I got to see the sparrow the next morning.  I birded my way around Calhoun County and down the coast to Hickory Mound Impoundment in Taylor County where I finally found a Red-breasted nuthatch in a pine stand down by the coast.  Third state Harris's sparrow and third state Red-breasted nuthatch in the
 same day.  Ah, the life of a county lister.  If I had found a Rock pigeon in Liberty County, that would have been my favorite bird.  Liberty is the only county where I have not seen Rock Pigeon.

David Simpson

Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group

.