Hey everyone,

I did one of my bi-monthly bird surveys on Disney property this morning.  As usual, the areas we survey are very closed to the public, so unfortunately you won't be able to go yourselves. I can't even go if I'm not "on the clock."  Anyway, there are a lot of pines in the survey area, so I had my ears out for any Red-Breasted Nuthatches that may have been around.  I didn't find any of them, but I was delighted to find a Pine Siskin!  I either had three Pine Siskins fly over as singles in very different parts of the survey area about an hour apart from each other, or (more likely, I think) a single Pine Siskin fly over three different times.  The bird was pretty high all three times.  The second and third time, it dropped like a lead weight out of the sky and into a nearby bush after the playing of its song on my I-Pod.  Clearly, it was looking for familiar faces!

Other highlights from the 51 species documented on this morning's survey were two Ovenbirds, my first of fall Orange-Crowned Warblers and American Goldfinches, and a red-eyed female Eastern Towhee, apparently a migrant from somewhere up north.

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.