		Interdisciplinarity at the Journal and Specialty Level:
		The changing knowledge bases of the journal Cognitive
Science

		(available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.0823 )

Using the referencing patterns in articles in Cognitive Science over three
decades, we analyze the knowledge base of this literature in terms of its
changing disciplinary composition. Three periods are distinguished: (1)
construction of the interdisciplinary space in the 1980s; (2) development of
an interdisciplinary orientation in the 1990s; (3) reintegration into
"cognitive psychology" in the 2000s. The fluidity and fuzziness of the
interdisciplinary delineations in the different visualizations can be
reduced and clarified using factor analysis. We also explore newly available
routines ("CorText") to analyze this development in terms of "tubes" using
an alluvial map, and compare the results with an animation (using "visone").
The historical specificity of this development can be compared with the
development of "artificial intelligence" into an integrated specialty during
this same period. "Interdisciplinarity" should be defined differently at the
level of journals and of specialties.

Loet Leydesdorff, University of Amsterdam
Robert L. Goldstone, Indiana University

** apologies for cross-postings
Full text at http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1212/1212.0823.pdf