Ft. Clinch State Park: following a scan of the larid roost at the base of
the park jetty this morning (the usual suspects), we stopped near a stand of
dense pines near the park's administration building to "muster-up" some
nuthatches. Following a modest period of pishing, mimicked distress and owl
calls, the first two of many red-breasted nuthatches appeared in the
branches directly overhead. The responsive mob remained long enough for me
to return to my truck, retrieve my digiscoping gear and photo-document the
sighting.

Upon our return home through Fernandina's suburban core, Doris spied  a lone
Snow Goose (blue phase) graving in a small field amongst a cluster of
buildings. Although far from an idyllic setting, there it was fifty meters
from a busy road grazing in a school yard surrounded by chain link and
occupied by young children during the work week!   This past Monday, during
our most recent surveys on the upper gulf, another lone snow goose was
sighted flying around Hog Island west of Shell Mound near Cedar Key. That
was our first goose sighting in seven seasons on the gulf.

Doris and Pat Leary

Fernandina Beach, Nassau County