This evening, 12/4, I stopped off at the Halifax River at Ormond Beach at the south edge of Tomoka State Park. I was scanning the river with the scope, when I found a Red-throated Loon swimming on the water. There were also about 12 Common Loons, one female White-winged Scoter and 15+ Horned Grebes.

This spot is found by driving north on Beach Street off Granada Ave (RT40), Ormond Beach, until you get to the beginning of Tomoka State Park, right where the homes end and the natural park begins. Immediately before the park there is a small road where you can turn left and park on the right. Walk east across Beach Street on the trail. It will take you to the edge of the Halifax River. The bird was slightly to the right and straight across the river.  There is a lot of open water here. You will need a scope to see well.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL