Almost all the responses I've had to my earlier question about the
"mysterious" gull at vista 8 confirm what we had thought--it was likely an
Iceland Gull.

Other highlights from the morning were a couple Ruddy Ducks on the way to
the beach parking lots. We stopped at parking lot 7 and found some Black
Scoters flying south, Herring Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls, one Great
Black-backed Gull, lots of Royal Terns, and several birds so far out that
we couldn't identify them with a 60x scope.  We then drove up to parking
lot 12 or so and found the photographic highlight of the morning--a Merlin
in a tree eating a bird (another birder there thought it was a Ruddy
Turnstone, and I suspect he's right). On the way home we dropped by Parish
Park (just east of the Max Brewer bridge) and found a Bonaparte's Gull with
some Sanderlings.

I posted photos from the morning at
http://www.learnoutdoorphotography.com/2012/12/canaveral-national-seashore-12272012.html

Happy birding,