Amelia Island:  The, prior-reported, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher remains on
the perimeter fence of the Fernandina airfield off the east end of the E-W
runway adjoining SR A1A (parkway bypass).  Following observations of the
STFL, we traveled out to a public beach access just south of the island's
private pier and found a calm ocean and the usual avian suspects. (A
Red-throated loon foraged in the surf and lingered near the pier very close
to shore) Although no alcids were detected, we were treated to rare views of
North Atlantic whales. Although (highly endangered) Northern Right whales
were likely present amongst the several whales present, we did note one
mature Humpback via its distinctive dorsal fin. Otherwise, our distant views
were restricted to massive heads and snouts occasionally breaching the
ocean's calm surface.

All-in-all, wondrous gifts of nature on a beautifully calm and sunny
Christmas day.

Pat and Doris Leary

Fernandina Beach

Amelia Island, FL