Subject:  51 Eastern Screech-Owls counted on south St. Pete for the CBC.
Hi all:
On the 15th of December, Cherry Pascual and I did the owling part of the St. Pete CBC.  This is in the areas of Pinellas Pt. S.  This area is referred to as the “pink streets” – very southern tip of Pinellas Co., We also did the Driftwood neighborhood which is north-east of the Pinellas Pt. S.  Areas between the two points were also covered.  We tallied 51 individual EASO for the count. Mostly heard though did actually observe some of the owls. We only had 9 owls for the a.m. portion of the count.  I went back out during the eve and racked up even more owls – 42 for the total of 51 EASO.  My playback wasn’t functional for the early a.m.  I fixed the iPod and racked up 42 more owls for the evening.  By comparison last year in 2011, I found a total of 98 owls in this same area.
Happy birding!
David Laliberte,
Clearwater, FL.