Hello BEST-ers,

Hope the New Year has gotten off to a great start for all of you! Today, I
was reading an article about where food wastage occurs based on the
development of the country. Firstly, the article states that we waste one
third to one half of the food produced by annually. The difference in food
waste between a developed nation and a developing nation is where the waste
occurs in the food production chain. In Africa, many countries face
inefficient harvesting methods, poor transportation, and a lack of
infrastructure all contribute to the loss of produced food. In more
developed countries, such as the US and the UK, the waste tends to occur at
the consumer level. Ryan posts weekly on ways for us to reduce food waste
here in the US, but how can we reduce the food waste that occurs at the
farm/supply level in developing countries?

Happy Monday!
Jacquelyn

Thinkprogress.org
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/01/14/1444141/the-world-wastes-as-much-as-half-its-food-new-study-finds/?mobile=nc