Hello BESTers,

Some of you may be aware of the anaerobic digester at the University of
Wisconsin-Oshkosh that digests on-campus food waste.  Now the school is
undertaking research to examine how well new bioplastics digest in their
digester.  This is interesting research because most bioplastic research
has focused on decomposition in aerobic compost systems.  Having
digestible bioplastic, in particular garbage bags, will help to move the
food waste digestion movement ahead, as compostable bags have done for
composting efforts.  Bags can make separation and collection of food
waste much more user friendly because the cans don't have to be cleaned
as often and odors can be greatly reduced.  In restaurants, especially,
where health concerns are tantamount, dealing with dirty or odorous food
waste collection bins can sometimes be a deal breaker.  This is
something I've thought about for a while and I am happy to see that the
bioplastics industry is now considering anaerobic digestion.  Keep up
the good work Oshkosh.

Have a great weekend,
Ryan

http://www.uwosh.edu/today/24352/uwo-biodigester-team-studying-new-bioplastics-potential/

UWO Biodigester team studying new bioplastics’ potential
OW Oshkosh Today
Alex Hummel
January 9, 2012