Hello BEST-ers,

Hope the New Year has gotten off to a great start for all of you! Today, I was reading an article about where food wastage occurs based on the development of the country. Firstly, the article states that we waste one third to one half of the food produced by annually. The difference in food waste between a developed nation and a developing nation is where the waste occurs in the food production chain. In Africa, many countries face inefficient harvesting methods, poor transportation, and a lack of infrastructure all contribute to the loss of produced food. In more developed countries, such as the US and the UK, the waste tends to occur at the consumer level. Ryan posts weekly on ways for us to reduce food waste here in the US, but how can we reduce the food waste that occurs at the farm/supply level in developing countries?

Happy Monday!
Jacquelyn

Thinkprogress.org
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/01/14/1444141/the-world-wastes-as-much-as-half-its-food-new-study-finds/?mobile=nc