ANNOUNCEMENT

Date:   January 25, 2013

To:     Department Chairs, Graduate Coordinators and Staff

CC:     Graduate Associate Deans and Deans

From:   Laurence B. Alexander, Ph.D.
        Associate Dean, Graduate School

Re:     2013-2014 McKnight Doctoral Fellowship (MDF) Process

Beginning February 1, 2013, you will be able to review the UF McKnight Doctoral Fellowship applications. To view the full applications online, you will need to log on to the FEF secure applicant web site at https://www.fefonline.org/mdf and enter a general password followed by our university's password. Log in information will be hand-delivered February 1-4, 2013 to Graduate Coordinators, who have McKnight applicants.  If your unit does not receive the information by the end of the day on February 4, 2013, please contact our office.

After reviewing the files for your unit, we will need to receive your decision by February 21, 2013 on whether you plan to admit the applicant(s) to your Ph.D. program. Please contact the Office of Graduate Minority Programs at [log in to unmask] to provide us with this information.  Those MDF applicants who are admitted to your program will be forwarded to FEF to compete statewide for the fellowships with students from other doctoral programs.  A selection committee will be convened later this spring by the Florida Education Fund for this purpose.  Once the selections are made, we will notify the academic units. There is no need, however, to hold off on making offers to your recruits while waiting to hear from us. I encourage you to make offers to qualified URMs based on your existing resources.

As you are aware, many of the URM students you would like to admit to your PhD Programs will receive offers from outside the state. For UF to have the best opportunity to enroll them, your academic unit will need to seal the deal by making timely (not waiting to hear from McKnight) and competitive offers.  If we can assist in any way please contact our office at 352-392-6444.  I can be reached at [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your cooperation.