On 1/31/2013 5:14 AM, Clement Levallois wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> I am looking for papers evaluating different network layouts in terms
> of their readability / or misleading effects? I'll post here the
> suggestions I receive.

Great question--would love to see your results/paper.

Sarah Fabrikant (cartographer) did very interesting work on this:
http://www.geo.uzh.ch/~sara/personal/research.html

  * Gnos, A.U., Salvini, M.M., Fabrikant, S.I. (2011). Cognitively
    Plausible Visualization of Network Data.
    <http://www.geo.uzh.ch/%7Esara/pubs/gnos_mms_sif_ica11.pdf>
    Proceedings,25th International Cartographic Conference
    <http://www.icc2011.fr/>, International Cartographic Association,
    Jul. 3-8, 2011, Paris, France (refereed on extended abstract).
  * Fabrikant, S.I., Montello, D.R., Ruocco, M., Middleton, R.S. (2004).
    The Distance-Similarity Metaphor in Network-Display Spatializations
    <http://www.geo.uzh.ch/%7Esara/pubs/Fabrikant_etal_cagis04.pdf>.
    Cartography and Geographic Information Science, vol. 31, no. 4, 237-252.

> Thanks!
>
> Clement

> Clement Levallois, PhD
> Erasmus University Rotterdam
> The Netherlands
>
> pro website
> <http://www.erim.eur.nl/ERIM/People/Person_Details?p_aff_id=4321> /
> personal website <http://www.clementlevallois.net/>
>
> twitter and skype: @seinecle
> Discover the NESSHI project: http://www.nesshi.eu <http://www.nesshi.eu/>
>
> Disclaimer
> De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n)
> is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van
> dit bericht. Lees verder: http://www.eur.nl/email-disclaimer
> The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be
> legally privileged. Read more: http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer

Katy Borner
Victor H. Yngve Professor of Information Science
Director, CI for Network Science Center, http://cns.iu.edu
Curator, Mapping Science exhibit, http://scimaps.org

School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University
Wells Library 021, 1320 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Phone: (812) 855-3256  Fax: -6166