From: Boyer,Treavor H
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 3:00 PM

Particles, Particles, and More Particles
Dr. Desmond Lawler, University of Texas
Friday, 1 March 2013
12:30 - 2:00 pm
Reitz Union Grand Ballroom B-C-F-G

Abstract: Particle treatment processes are at the heart of both (surface) drinking water treatment and wastewater treatment. Many contaminants in water and wastewater are particles, are made into particles, or are removed by attaching to particles.  Throughout my career, I have been pursuing the links between fundamental particle properties (particularly size distributions, but also shape, surface charge, and adsorbed materials such as natural organic matter) and the optimal design and operation of particle processes. Current work includes considering the fate of nanoparticles in conventional particle processes. Flocculation, precipitation, gravity removal processes (sedimentation, flotation, thickening), granular media filtration, and dewatering have all been the focus of my work with various Master's and Ph.D. students. In addition, we have studied the linkages of these processes to one another in conventional water treatment plants. A few of the key insights from this work include the relative insignificance of the velocity gradient in determining the success of flocculation, the importance of flow patterns in open tanks such as flocculation and sedimentation reactors, the role of detachment in the effluent water quality from granular media filters, and a design methodology for granular media filters that could save piloting costs.

Treavor H. Boyer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Environmental Engineering Sciences
University of Florida
308 Black Hall
PO Box 116450, Gainesville, FL 32611-6450
352.846.3351
Webpage: www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/boyer/<http://www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/boyer/>
Google scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=vhn_98oAAAAJ