Ryan, I remember that potato very well!!

I think one strategy is the-design of refrigerators.

I've noticed that in some households, anything that is more than a few items deep on a shelf, is simply forgotten. Ergo, fridges half as deep would be more practical, especially for the more elderly.

Big giant fridge often translates into big giant waste of stuff that gets lost inside.

- Mark

We've all done it, found a mushy potato in the back of the pantry or found a bag of green slime on the bottom of the vegetable drawer.  Spoiled food is a major source of food waste and because of this, the Waste & Resources Action Programme (WRAP) in the UK is launching a campaign to inform consumer on how to properly store food.  While I wonder how much impact this will have and I question if this will result in exchanging food waste for packaging waste, this has potential to be one more piece in solving our food waste problem.

Have a great weekend,
Ryan

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2252188/retailers-aim-to-slay-packaging-myths-in-war-on-food-waste

Retailers aim to slay packaging myths in war on food waste
Business Green
James Murray
March 5, 2013