Yesterday afternoon, there were at least 2 White-faced Ibis in Lighthouse Pond (pink facial skin, cherry red eyes).  2 other Plegadis ibis were in the pond, but I didn't get close enough views of the face.  A Whimbrel made a fly-by along the bay shore.  Other than that, there were very few ducks and shorebirds in any of the ponds visible from paved roads (and almost nothing in the T-dike ponds).  A f.o.s. Barn Swallow joined the few Tree Swallows, and a fly-by Ruby-throated Hummingbird was a f.o.s. for me.

There were quite a few more shorebirds at Hickory Mound WMA, including a couple each of dowitchers and Black-necked Stilts.  In the extensive hardwood swamps here, I watched a f.o.s. and sometimes-singing Red-eyed Vireo eating a dragonfly.  Northern Parulas were singing everywhere, but no sounds of the other Neotrop warblers yet.  Lots of Swallow-tailed Kites in the whole Big Bend area.

Brad Bergstrom
Valdosta, GA