Assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Florida Birders.

With the Cerulean Warbler declining faster than any other woodland songbird, it is imperative that we know as much as possible about every part of this species’ lifecycle.In recent years great strides have been made in our understanding of many aspects of
the Cerulean Warbler’s breeding biology and habitat needs during the non-breeding season. The one aspect of the lifecycle we know virtually nothing about is the route, timing, and habitat needs of the Cerulean Warbler during migration. Cerulean Warblers winter primarily in the mountains of Venezuela and Columbia, yet there are few sightings in the lowlands of northern South America. Similarly, there are few coastal and lowland records for this trans-gulf migrant until it reaches the breeding grounds in the
Cumberland Mountains of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia.

Ceruleans appear to be arriving in the southeast in mid-March, possibly earlier near the coast. This year we are conducting a pilot study to amass as many migration records as possible. Specifically we are looking for records from the Gulf Coast (eastern Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, western Florida, and Georgia) to the southern end of the breeding range in the Cumberland Mountains of Tennessee (Frozen Head State Park and the North Cumberland WMA, Scott, Campbell and Anderson Counties).

If you can get out early and do some spring birding, please report your observations, ESPECIALLY if you see a Cerulean, either to Cornell’s ebird <ebird.org> or directly to me. I’d also be very interested in any previous March Cerulean records you have.

Thank you in advance for your help with this project!

Melinda Welton
Research Associate, Gulf Coast Bird Observatory [log in to unmask]

Sent from my iPad
Murray Gardler
Weeki Wachee, FL