<It seems to me we are using too narrow a definition of "record".>

I think y'all are just picking nits.  ISO 15489 has definitions that are pretty general, easy to understand, and cover all the areas that have been mentioned during this thread:

document, noun

recorded information or object which can be treated as a unit

records

information created, received, and maintained as evidence and information by an organization or person, in

pursuance of legal obligations or in the transaction of business

Ginny Jones

(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)

Records Manager

Information Technology Division