Dear Socnetters, (apologies for any cross-posting)

I'm delighted to announce that my department is seeking an open ended assistant professor level position at the Oxford Internet Institute. We're a growing graduate department at the University of Oxford, so the successful candidate will be able to work with MSc and D.Phils as well as the other faculty both in the department and at the university at large.

Oxford is a great place for networks, to be honest, with locals such as Tom Snijders and Mason Porter, two separate weekly SNA seminars in term, and a very collegial working environment. The official post is attached below. I'm on the recruitment panel and I'm happy to answer any substantive questions about the post, as well as questions about income streams (for example, Oxford's generous consulting policy) and transitions between North America and Europe. For administrative questions and application package details, please email Ornella Sciuto ([log in to unmask]).

Take care,
BERNiE

Dr Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford

- - -
Research Fellow
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/newpositions/#p30

Grade 8: Salary £37,382 - £44,607 p.a.

The Oxford Internet Institute (OII) is the world’s leading centre for research into individual, collective and institutional behaviour on the internet. We have a multi-disciplinary faculty from political science, sociology, law, geography, economics, communications, computer science, anthropology, physics, informatics, history and development. OII researchers use a diverse methodological toolkit, and develop cutting edge methods to understand digital life, such as experiments, social network analysis and big data approaches.

We are looking for a Research Fellow to complement our multidisciplinary team. This position (which is broadly equivalent to the post of Assistant Professor in the US) offers researchers of outstanding promise or distinction an opportunity to pursue advanced research and teaching within this field. The post holder will be a key part of the research community at the OII and will have full responsibility for managing their own programme of research, publishing in leading journals and representing the Institution internationally.

This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced researcher with a strong methodological and theoretical background in sociology and doing empirical work with digital or social media data in the analytical sociology tradition. Applications from those with a strong track record of multi-disciplinary research on internet-mediated behaviour and/or related policy issues who have doctorates in other relevant social science disciplines (such as economics, political science, social psychology, geography or anthropology) will also be welcomed. The ideal candidate will have a strong publication record and a proven track record in successfully applying for research funding.

Based in the heart of Oxford, this post is available from July 2013 and is offered on an open-ended basis.

Applications for this vacancy are to be made online. The application form and further details, including a job description and selection criteria, are available on the Oxford University's recruitment website.

The closing date for applications is 12:00 BST on Thursday 2 May 2013 and only applications received before then can be considered. Interviews for those short-listed are currently planned to take place in the week commencing Monday 20 May 2013.