We are in the process of getting a WordPress site set to use Shibboleth (meaning we are going through the Shibboleth paperwork).  The site was regularly brute forced (no comment on people's password choices) until we made three changes:

1. Only techs were set as admins (initially, faculty were also admins--it was a control issue, ie they felt they needed 100% control).
2. All passwords were reset to 20 character pass phrases.
3. Dashboard access was locked down to just UF and VPN.

Step two would not have been as important if Shibboleth was in place, but being this was an issue that we knew people would bulk at and drag their feet...

The long and the short of it is attacks have stopped being successful.  As a tech who regularly does support work while on vacation, I have not had a problem with the third step.  It was the first step we implemented after the attacks and it definitely appeared to have an impact.

Do I think there is a need for both Shibboleth and restricting the dashboard to UF and VPN?  Put it this way, the front door to my house has a lock and a dead-bolt.  I also have an alarm system.  In a world where people break into others homes, you go with the level of security you can afford and that does not make life a pain.  The dashboard restriction is an almost non-cost, and it does not really add much in the way of pain.  We will keep it in place when Shibboleth is set.

Cheers,

Rich

--
In a place beyond time and space,
in a land far better than this,

RICHARD A KELLEY JR
M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction
University of Florida
Voice: 352-273-1186
Email: [log in to unmask]

This transmission is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed.  If you are
not the intended recipient of this message you
are hereby notified that any use, review,
retransmission, dissemination, reproduction or
any action taken in reliance upon this message is
prohibited.  Any views expressed in this message
may not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Florida.

GATOR RAIDERS
--The Bugs Stop Here--