Lots of black and white in one nondescript tree in the Markham Tract of Wekiwa Springs State Park (WSSP).  There were two Carolina Chickadees (looked like they were copulating at one
point), four Blackpoll Warblers and one Black-and-white Warbler.  Seven Blackpoll Warblers were in this general area, and there were at
least four Carolina Chickadees and two Black-and-white Warblers.  Later, two
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers flew in to break up the black and white show.  There were likely more chickadees as they were calling from other angles but four is what was seen.

A young Red-shouldered Hawk put on an unusual show.  I was in the middle of an open area and the youngster flew in close by so I just dropped to my knees to limit my presence.  The hawk had trouble landing and it took multiple attempts--the top of a small Longleaf Pine isn't exactly steady.

In a semi-circle around me, this hawk made four gliding attacks on very small prey--we are talking worms and bugs maybe as it was one bite and done.  This happened in rapid order--at least the hawk has good eyes if not bold hunting skills.  I doubt the hawk gained more energy from the small food bites than he spent with his flying to get it.  It was an interesting show; the hawk has not learned to be wary of people as it seemed to ignore me.  Hopefully, larger menu items will follow soon.

The Markham Tract is not even on the map of WSSP's handout--few know about this out parcel.  It is northwest of the main park in Seminole County.  An entry point is on Markham Road at the Seminole Wekiva trailhead between Markham Woods Road and Longwood Markham Road.

I was able to add Pileated Woodpecker as "probable" to BBA II as I witnessed nest building.  This is block 6, Sanford SW quad.

A few images are at:

http://cfno.blogspot.com/

Bob Stalnaker
Longwood, FL