Hi

Just a final reminder of the courses we are running next month.

The Mitchell Centre will be running a Summer School at the University of Manchester from June 17 -21, 2013.
We will offer two courses as follows

INTRODUCTION TO SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS USING UCINET AND NETDRAW
Course Requirements:

We stress that the emphasis of this course is on substantive concepts and hands-on practical experience of using the software packages UCINET and Netdraw but background theoretical material will be presented as necessary. It is advisable for participants to bring their own laptops running windows (Macs will need to have a pc emulator) and to have downloaded the software in advance. This can be done for a free period of time from the websitewww.analytictechnologies.com.

Course Summary
This is an introductory course, covering the concepts, methods and data analysis techniques of social network analysis. The course begins with a general introduction to the distinct goals and perspectives of social network analysis, followed by a practical discussion of network data, covering issues of collection, validity, visualization, and mathematical/computer representation. We then take up the methods of detection and description of structural properties, such as centrality, cohesion, subgroups and positional analysis techniques. This is a hands on course largely based around the use of UCINET software, and will give participants experience of analyzing real social network data using the techniques covered in the workshop. No prior knowledge of social network analysis is assumed for this course.

Further information and booking can be found here

ADVANCED METHODS FOR SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS
Course requirements

This course assumes basic statistical knowledge such as regression and familiarity with R together with a basic knowledge of social network analysis as given in the introductory course.

Course Summary

We begin by looking at ERGMs (Exponential Random Graph Models) using the software package PNET and also statnet in R. This allows us to answer questions such as: Are there more triads in my network than I would expect by chance? And more complex questions involving attributes such as am I more likely to be friends with someone who is a similar age to me? The course moves on to longitudinal data using the R version of the SIENA package. This looks at network formation over time and is an actor based model that allows for endogenous network effects (such as transitivity and popularity) as well actor attributes (such as homophily) to be included in the model. Finally the course will cover the use of permutation tests and some advanced descriptive methods which will depend on the participants interests.

Further information and booking can be found here http://methodssummerschool.wordpress.com/

Mitchell Centre for Social Network Analysis
School of Social Sciences
Arthur Lewis Building
University of Manchester
Bridgeford Street