Khan,

Gov't entities aren't that different from brands in how they should leverage social media to engage with their audience.  Rather running through the mechanics of signing up, I'd help them focus on a strategy of engagement and pick the right channel for engaging with their constituents.  The worst thing a brand can do is launch a channel of engagement and then realize they don't have the resources to engage, damaging their reputation with constituents.  It's better spend some time listening to the channels available to understand which communities are living in which channels before launch a twitter handle or facebook fan page.  Additionally they need some metrics of engagement beyond just collecting likes.  Recent lessons from the Boston Marathon bombing in the US show the power of community engagement but at one point they shut down cell coverage which cut the social channels significantly.  Having a complete Concept of Operations, for both routine and crisis becomes very important.

Social media can be a financially inexpensive way to engage the audience but poor execution can have tremendous social capital costs.

Cheers,

John

John Feland, PhD
CEO and Founder