Hi Erin,

Below are some references that may be of interest. I'm aware of more work
dealing with precedent networks in common law countries than semantic
networks within statutes, constitutions, or codes, but work on the latter
does exist. There is also an upcoming workshop that may interest you titled
"Network Analysis in Law" at the International Conference on Artificial
Intelligence and Law in Rome next month.

Bommarito, I., Michael, J., Katz, D., & Zelner, J. (2009). Law as a
seamless web? Comparison of various network representations of the United
States Supreme Court corpus (1791-2005) (pp. 234–235). Barcelona, Spain:
ACM.

 Boulet, R., Mazzega, P., & Bourcier, D. (2011). A network approach to the
French system of legal codes—part I: analysis of a dense network. *Artificial
Intelligence and Law*, 1–23.

 Cross, F. B., Smith, T. A., & Tomarchio, A. (2006). Determinants of
Cohesion in the Supreme Court’s Network of Precedents. *SSRN eLibrary*.
Retrieved from http://ssrn.com/paper=924110

 Fowler, J. H., Johnson, T. R., Spriggs, J. F., Jeon, S., & Wahlbeck, P. J.
(2007). Network Analysis and the Law: Measuring the Legal Importance of
Precedents at the U.S. Supreme Court. *Political Analysis*, *15*(3),
324–346. doi:10.1093/pan/mpm011

 Katz, D. M., Gubler, J., Zelner, J., Bommarito, M. J., Provins, E. A., &
Ingall, E. M. (2009). Reproduction of Hierarchy? A Social Network Analysis
of the American Law Professoriate. *SSRN eLibrary*. Retrieved from
http://ssrn.com/paper=1352656

 Merkl, D., Schweighoffer, E., & Winiwarter, W. (1999). Exploratory
analysis of concept and document spaces with connectionist networks.
*Artificial
Intelligence and Law*, *7*(2), 185–209. doi:10.1023/a:1008365524782

 Thomas, H. F. (2007). The Web of Law. *San Diego L. Rev.*, *44*, 309.

 Whalen, R. (2013). Modeling Annual Supreme Court Influence: The Role of
Citation Practices and Judicial Tenure in Determining Precedent Network
Growth. In *Complex Networks*. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg. Retrieved from
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-30287-9_18

Best,

--
Ryan Whalen
PhD Student - Media, Technology & Society