Derric,

The SVD is used _very_ widely indeed!  Also look for where "PCA" has been
used.

I have written an introduction to it for undergrad math students, and it
includes a lot of references for more detail, examples, theorems, etc:

 	http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/porterm/papers/s4.pdf

The voting matrix in one of the examples in the paper can be construed as
a signed two-mode network (person i votes either yay or nay on a bill),
though those of us who did the calculation didn't bother thinking of it as
a network for the purpose of that calculation.

One can also build a lot on SVD-like things (see, e.g., the work by Poole,
Rosenthal in others in political science over the past many decades).

I'll leave it to someone else to comment on the use of SVD in bipartite
networks per se (with a networks perspective, which the above paper does
not take explicitly), as I am pretty sure that somebody has brought that
up on this list-serv before.

I hope this helps.

-----
Mason

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013, SOCNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>  1. puzzling omissions (3)
>  2. SVD in two-mode networks analysis

> Date:    Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:22:14 +0200
> From:    Matteo Gagliolo <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: puzzling omissions

> Dear Phillip and SOCNET community,
>
> 	unfortunately we don't need to go back to the 60's
> to find governments monitoring social movements. Here's a
> more recent story:
>
> http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Government_Surveillance_of_Occupy_Movement
>
> Ciao,
>
> Matteo
>
> On 06/21/2013 06:32 PM, Phillip Bonacich wrote:
>> Hi Moses,
>>
>>              Over the past 50 years social scientists have developed
>> sophisticated techniques for analyzing social networks.  Now these
>> techniques are being used to fight a global war on terrorists.  We don???t
>> own the techniques we developed but I think we can profitably reflect on
>> the ways in which these techniques are used and the ways in which they
>> might be used but aren???t.  For example, the resources devoted to the war
>> on terror could be used to root out insider trading, a possibility which
>> sends chills of pleasure down my spine.  On the other hand, in the 60???s
>> they would certainly have been used against the civil rights and
>> anti-war movements.

-----
Mason

  Mason A. Porter
  University Lecturer (and Tutorial Fellow, Somerville College)
  Oxford Centre for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
  Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford

  Homepage: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~porterm, Skype: tepid451
  Blog: http://masonporter.blogspot.com/