I must say I really enjoyed Charles' chapter on ethics of social network
research. It is frank, critical, and confronts issues that I don't think
I've seen dealt with elsewhere.

I was doing some searching on ethics and scientific responsibility and came
across this short simple letter to the editor from 1968 in the NY Review of
Books:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1968/apr/11/responsibility-of-scientists/?pagination=false

What I like about this letter/statement is it takes the question of ethics
beyond just questions of informed consent (where most research methods
textbooks stop) or conforming to the norms of good scientific research
(publishing results publicly, cooperating internationally, etc.).

The question it seems to me, is what is the responsibility of scientists
for the products of their labor?

If someone is bombed by a drone, or locked up in Guantanamo, because their
eigenvalue was high enough, or their p-value low enough, do the network
scientists involved share any responsibility? And which ones? The guy who
designed the eigenvalue algorithm? The person who designed and sold the
software? The assistant who calculated network centralities on the dataset?

On 25 June 2013 15:49, Kadushin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There is an entire chapter on the ethics of social network research in my
> recent book, "Understanding Social Networks" ( Oxford University Press).
>
> Charles Kadushin
>
> On Jun 25, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Phillip Bonacich <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

> > Moira - I learned a lot about the sometimes uncomfortable relationship
> between science and government from reading the book " American Prometheus:
> the Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer," available as a used
> paperback from Amazon at $6.83.

"Neither slave nor master be."

--

Nicholas Harrigan
Assistant Professor of Sociology

Singapore Management University
90 Stamford Road, Level 4
Singapore 178903

Office: +(65) 6828 0842
Mobile: +(65) 9029 9499
Fax: +(65) 6828 0423
UK: +(44) 7962 627960
www.smu.edu.sg

The information contained in this email (including all attachments) is
confidential and may also be privileged. It is intended for the use only of
the addressee(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient, kindly note
that any dissemination, distribution, publication or copying of this email
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please
accept our apologies and notify us immediately. Thereafter, kindly delete
all copies from your system. Although reasonable precautions have been taken
to ensure the integrity of this email and that it is virus free, SMU cannot
be responsible for any change made to this email or the presence of any
virus therein without its knowledge and/or consent. Unless it relates to the
official business of SMU, any opinions, views and other information
expressed in this document are those of the individual sender.