Thanks Jim. Of course, I've read your papers (and in particular I'm
familiar with the work of yours and Mucha's with coworkers).
Blockmodeling is certainly an option for the network analyses we are
going to do in the future and I would be honored if you and Peter
might want to collaborate with us on these data. Another option is
community detection that I think all of us are interested (just to
mention Mucha's work with Mark Newman, Mason Porter etc.).

However, I need to explain something on the structure of our networks
that I've left it vague in my previous email. Actually, I need to
describe how these networks were generated. The answer is by
proceeding through the following 2 steps:

(1) Collect a sample or possibly "all" tweets containing a trending
topic hashtag in their contents. By "all" possible tweets, I mean
running a script that harvests all tweets with the requested keywords
from the time it starts until it stops.

(2) Among all these tweets, we are filtering only those which are
retweeted (RT) or mentioned (@).

Consequently, each one of our networks corresponds to a particular
searched keyword (hashtag) at a particular time period and it is
represented by a directed graph, in which nodes are tweaples (Twitter
users) and directed edges (arcs) from node u to node v correspond to
tweets containing the searched keyword which were either originally
sent by v and then retweeted by u or u was answering (mentioning)
something to v always including the terms of the search.

I hope it is more clear now what sort of networks we are dealing with.
Note that such networks are typically disconnected but in some of them
one can isolated rather large components with not necessarily a
star-tree structure, something which signifies how vivid are the
communicative exchanges through Twitter (in the context of these
protest events).

Best,

--Moses