My $0.02.

http://colabria.com/2013/06/28/nsa-or-sna-3/

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Valdis Krebs
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] puzzling omissions

Barry, et. al.,

Actually lot of what the NSA does with SNA they learned from academics and
practitioners.  Quite a few people on this list, including me, were invited
to Washington DC, after 9/11, by various 3-letter agencies to guest lecture
and present --> exactly how do you do this thing called social network
analysis?  They took that knowledge, added it to what they already knew,
adapted it to very large data sets and out came PRISM and other assorted
programs.

Here is a blog post I wrote that shows how retirees at Fortune 500 companies
can be analyzed "similar" to terror suspects...  the NSA calls it "contact
chaining" and we call it social circle, network neighborhood, influence
cluster, 2-step degree, reach, etc. etc.  Practitioners like me were using
this 2-step neighborhood approach with business clients with great success
back in the early 1990s!

http://www.thenetworkthinkers.com/2013/06/contact-chaining.html

Whether it is finding bad guys or SMEs (subject matter experts) SNA can be
used and mis-used.  No one is yelling at Microsoft because Excel is being
used by drug cartels and child smugglers.

Valdis Krebs

Orgnet,LLC
Twitter: orgnet
http://orgnet.com