hello,
          i do not think jeff was claiming that social networks is just
the science of the individual. it is concerned about both structural
matters - structures and evolution etc - and their impacts on individual
actions. of course, actor attributes affect networks structure and
change. i have often harbored the fantasy of showing up at a physicist
convention and asking them about interviewing their molecules. rightly,
they would think i was insane. but i would bet they would miss the real
point would be that indiviuals are not molecules.
pat

On 6/15/2013 12:12 AM, Moses Boudourides wrote:

> Good question, Jeff. However, whenever in the past structuralists like
> Bruce Mayhew were addressing exactly the same question to
> individualists, some social networkers seemed to be at least
> unconcerned (if not overtly averse). Why then should a physicist be
> convinced to endorse the idea that social networks is just the science
> of the individual? --Moses
>
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Johnson, Jeffrey C <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> But what have the physicists contributed to theoretical advancements in
>> study of human behavior?  Besides the claim of physicists
>> fathering/mothering the advent of SNA which is flawed st best, what have
>> they done to advance any theoretical explanations of human behavior,
>> particularly at the individual level? Just asking?
>>
>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
>>

>> Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Ha!
>>
>> Yes, lot of bad info out there... even in Wikipedia, and in those big data
>> sets!
>>
>> At least they are not calling it "social networkING analysis" yet!
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Valdis
>>

>> On Jun 14, 2013, at 4:20 PM, John T. Maloney wrote:

>> Hi - Good to know.
>>
>> Remember, too, Facebook invented the social graph.
>>
>> Social graph "...was popularized at the Facebook f8 conference on May 24,
>> 2007, when it was used to explain that the Facebook Platform, which was
>> introduced at the same time, would benefit from the social graph by taking
>> advantage of the relationships between individuals." -Wikipedia
>>
>> Gee-whiz! I didn't know that.
>>
>> Of course you should all know --
>>
>> "One of the earliest known forms of the social graph was created in 2002 by
>> Harvard student Philippe Bouzaglou in a paper published on the Harvard
>> Department of Economics website." -Wikipedia
>>

>> G-o-l-l-y, Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise! Itís fun learning something new
>> every day.
>>

>> Letís be sure to give credit where credit is due. These deserve the double
>> WTF-WTF.
>>
>> -j

patrick doreian
professor emeritus