Barry,

I was waiting for a thread on these topics also.  The spread of the Turkish protests is very interesting, started with a small group protesting in a park, and now...

There is an article in Science this morning with network scientists interviewed about the NSA surveillance...

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/340/6138/1272.summary [paywall]

Maybe listservs are no longer where these discussions take place?  Maybe now it is Twitter and blogs???

Valdis Krebs
http://orgnet.com
http://thenetworkthinkers.com