Hello,

We invite participants to AOIR Pre-conference Workshop in Denver, (October 23d, 2013). Scholars from any discipline interested in online reputation, learning, and badges are welcome to join. Please see the  announcement below. For more information, please feel free to contact the organizers.

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

AOIR'13 Pre-conference Workshop: Representing personal history, ability, and reputation online, 23rd September 2013

Half day (afternoon) on October 23, 2013

Location: Humanities Institute Room 286 in Sturm (University of Denver C3 Studios)

No Fee. By Invitation.

With the momentous changes in social media use in professional contexts, and the rapid evolution of learning ecologies and experimentation with different kinds of learning online, the need to present experience and expertise to new communities is now more pressing than ever. The ways in which individuals formally construct their identities for multiple publics is also changing. While the traditional resume or biography remains important, we are finding new ways of explicitly summarizing our traces online and communicating these experiences to various publics.

During this half-day pre-conference, attendees will present recently completed work and work in progress that addresses badges, microcredentials, reputation economies, markers of expertise, and related work. Our emphasis will be on empirical work that draws on a range of approaches to understand how reputation, experience, and expertise are made visible, regulated, and shared within online contexts and across contexts. The time will be split between a small number of presentations of more completed work, and thematic discussions around broader questions and research agendas for the area.

Thanks to support through the Digital Media and Learning (DML) Competition, the pre-conference and lunch is free of charge to participants but there will a limited number of seats. If you are interested in participating, please submit a one-page brief of your research, along with a brief bio, by June 15, 2013 to organizers: Alex Halavais ([log in to unmask]) or Hazel Kwon ([log in to unmask]

--
K. Hazel Kwon, PhD
Assistant Professor