I did something similar for an intro psych course (all first year students).  I showed Krackhardt's network of centrality measures and made an analogy to mean, median, & mode.  I then showed them how Newman grouping worked.  I took them through an activity where they downloaded their Facebook network, ran centrality measures (they are maximally central), then had them delete themselves, run centrality and subgroup analysis using the visualizer in ORA.  There was an immediate intuitive understanding of centrality, structure, subgroups, and it tapped into their interest effectively.

If I were to do this again, I would add Lothar's idea of also taking the bipartite agent to 'like' page, folding it, and comparing it to the agent by agent network.

While I think it is critical to include mathematical calculations of network metrics in a network course, I think the above approach is good for familiarization.

Best of luck!

Ian McCulloh