Natalie,

If you and your students hace access to MS Excel you can use the an add-in
called NodeXL (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/) for collecting, analyzing, and
visualizing networks.  Bernie Hogans Facebook generated data can easily be
imported to NodeXL and it is really easy to use the built-in data
collectors to get twitter, youtube, and flickr data.  You can see lots of
examples at the NodeXL gallery (
http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Default.aspx).  Also, Marc Smith,
who is the head of the group working on NodeXL has office hours using
Google+ where you could get some support.

Personally, as others have suggested, having students look at their own
Facebook networks is really educational and illuminating.  I am also a fan
of checking out current events using NodeXL and twitter.

Best,
Alan