Natalie,

If you and your students hace access to MS Excel you can use the an add-in called NodeXL (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/) for collecting, analyzing, and visualizing networks.† Bernie Hogans Facebook generated data can easily be imported to NodeXL and it is really easy to use the built-in data collectors to get twitter, youtube, and flickr data.† You can see lots of examples at the NodeXL gallery (http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Default.aspx).† Also, Marc Smith, who is the head of the group working on NodeXL has office hours using Google+ where you could get some support.

Personally, as others have suggested, having students look at their own Facebook networks is really educational and illuminating.† I am also a fan of checking out current events using NodeXL and twitter.

Best,
Alan