(1)    The problem with Wikipedia is that it takes information that could be
published by nut cases and treats it the same as something from a Nobel
Prize winner (or equivalent).  Even then it becomes about who has the most
time to enforce their opinions on the masses.  Consider that out of 100
people that will read a conversations, 10 will ever contribute, and 3 may do
so substantially.  Apply a little Internet bullying and this likely even
drops below 1.  That is the sad case of Wikipedia.  On the other hand I
reference Wikipedia for base facts quite often and do find it useful in that
regard.

(2)    Human language is imprecise and definitions are even worse.  I am
sure that Moreno, at one time, used the term social graph.  If not him I am
sure there have been dozens that saw the relationship between sociology and
graph theory and called it a social graph.  So what?  The real question is
who uses it now and how it can be tied to a trail of concepts that leveraged
what people did before them.  I call this obsession with defining terms
“inventaholic”.  Everyone is so fascinated by being an inventor that the
whole world seems to have sprung up in a single day of term definition.

(3)    Facebook has a tremendous amount of data.  Outside of privacy issues,
again so what?  We can map out every IP address in the world and follow them
well beyond what Facebook could ever achieve.  Has that become the ultimate
dataset?  After all it is just connections.  Meaningless ones, but
connections just the same.  What is the most meaningful list?  How strong
are those links?  Why was the link made?  Are they persistent or ghost
links?  It is interesting to connect with connectors and watch your 2nd
level contact lists grow exponentially, but are they usable?  Maybe that is
a connection in an airport terminal in passing.

Mark Goetsch