Bruno - I had the same reaction.  On a bit further thought, I wonder if he may be referring to some of the NSA's datasets, however you may have trouble getting access to them.

… while Facebook's `open' graph is so notoriously accessible as a dataset. ;)

Quite sadly interesting that this argument has no effect on Wikipedia's Social graph revision history page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Social_graph&action=history

Thanks Jamie for adding sociograms to the ngrams timeline, i had never realized to what extend they had been popular just before the social networks' take-off.
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=social+network%2Csociogram&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=0

_
  Christophe Prieur,                                               [log in to unmask]
  Liafa, Université Paris-Diderot                           http://liafa.fr/~prieur/
  [user experience research, social networks, (large) graph algorithms]