I was going to post this earlier, but got under the weather so I'm posting now. On the 18th of this month I continued my job of locating fledglings at Hal Scott. The weather has made the entire area extremely wet. Water is standing in a lot of places including the pine areas. I followed one Colony for almost 1 1/2 miles before locating where they hid their fledgling. These birds are extremely smart. I picked up on their calls to their fledgling. The "follow me" and "shut up" call. It's just fascinating to observe the fledgling imitating his parents in feeding. In the video you can see the male fledgling on the top. He's imitating his dad, and also getting fed too. It's a little jerky, because I was exhausted at the time, and it's hard for me to hold the 7D and 100/400 lens up. So far in just 4 colonies we have a total of 18 birds! That's the best I've seen it in almost 7 years. The work and the rain continue there. I've also noticed butterfly increases since the rain. There were a lot of fresh Gray Hairstreaks. I have not finished early enough with my work to survey the butterflies. I know that the pitcher plants have probably bloomed, but once again I have not had time to look for any.

video - www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/9076735307
Pictures
www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/9079190595
www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/9079197989