Yesterday, Janet and Gary Leavens and I went out to Sarasota to see the
Tropical Kingbirds at St. Armands Circle.  We had fun watching two of them
in the trees and utility wires in the Columbia Restaurant parking lot.  For
a little while they were hawking insects, and a couple times after catching
them, it looked like they tossed their catch into the air only to fly off
and capture it again. That was a lot of fun to observe.

We then went to Al Palonis Park in Tampa and found the White-winged Scoter
just inside the broken sea wall.  We were able to walk a trail to get
closer to the scoter and get pretty good looks at it.  Three American
Oystercatchers also flew by as an added treat.

We then drove up to Clearwater to find the Common Eider, but we were unable
to locate it.  As a consolation prize, I found a pair actual Gray Kingbirds
just south of the bridge on Gulf Blvd.  We first heard one calling, then
located one just north of fire station #44. On the way back to the car we
found two at the same location.

I posted photos of the kingbirds at
http://www.learnoutdoorphotography.com/2013/07/kingbirds.html

Happy birding,