Fred you are absolutely right - this is a complicated issue.  That's why I
recommend that each organization establish their governance around the use
and purpose of databases and the inputs/outputs.  It makes me think that
in general we have forgotten that the first stage of Records and
Information Management is "creation".  Business processes/functions must
decide/know what records they need to create to provide the necessary
evidence of their transactions, decisions etc.  for good business practices
and compliance.

A database is a tool to collect and manipulate data so we can create the
necessary "records" - if that means the whole database is the record that
is fine.  Or better yet we carefully determine what information is
necessary as a valid record and create outputs that provide that
information.  So much of Records Management planning has revolved around
"inventorying" what exists that we forget the whole process starts with the
business deciding what records are necessary and/or required.
Thanks,
Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371